Search squid archive

Re: Tune Squid proxy to handle 90k connection

On 17/05/24 02:23, Bolinhas André wrote:
Hi Alex
Has I explain, by default I set those directives to off to avoid high cpu consumption.

Ah, actually with NTLM auth you are using *more* CPU per transaction with those turned off.

The thing is that auth takes a relatively long time to happen, so the transactions are slower. Hiding the fact that they are, in total, using more CPU and TCP networking resources.

My doubt is enabling persistent connection will help squid to process the request more efficiently and gain more performance or not.

With persistent connections disabled, every client request must:

 1) wait for a TCP socket to become free for use
 2) perform a full SYN / SYN+ACK exchange to open it for use
 3) perform a NTLM challenge-response over HTTP
 4) wait for a second TCP socket to become free for use
 5) perform a full SYN / SYN+ACK exchange to open it for use
 6) perform the actual HTTP NTLM authenticated transaction.

Then
 7) locate a server that can be used
 8) wait for a TCP socket to become free for use
 9) perform a full SYN / SYN+ACK exchange to open it for use
 10) send the request on to the found server

That is a LOT of time, CPU, and networking.

With persistent connections enabled, only the first request looks like above. The second, third etc look like below:

 11) perform the HTTP NTLM authenticated transaction.

Then
 12) locate a server that can be used
 13) send the request on to the found server

 14) perform the HTTP NTLM authenticated transaction.

Then
 15) locate a server that can be used
 16) send the request on to the found server

That is MUCH better for performance.

HTH
Amos