Search squid archive

IP based user identification/authentication

Hello,

I was interested if I can configure some custom external helper that will be called before any authentication helpers and can perform user identification/authentication based on the client src-IP address.
It can look up in the external system information about the user logged in to the IP address and return the username and some annotation information on success.
If the user has been identified, no subsequent authentications are required.
Identified users can be authorized later using standard squid mechanisms (for example, ldap user groups membership).

This feature can be especially useful in "transparent" proxy configurations where 407-"Proxy Authentication Required" response code is not applicable.

Kind regards,
    Ankor