Search squid archive

[squid-announce] [ADVISORY] SQUID-2023:8 Denial of Service in Helper Process management

   Squid Proxy Cache Security Update Advisory SQUID-2023:8

Advisory ID:       | SQUID-2023:8
Date:              | December 1, 2023
                   | in Helper Process management
Affected versions: | Squid 2.x -> 2.7.STABLE9
                   | Squid 3.x -> 3.5.28
                   | Squid 4.x -> 4.17
                   | Squid 5.x -> 5.9
                   | Squid 6.x -> 6.4
Fixed in version:  | Squid 6.5

Problem Description:

 Due to an Incorrect Check of Function Return Value
 bug Squid is vulnerable to a Denial of Service
 attack against its Helper process management.

Severity:

 This problem allows a trusted client or remote server to perform
 a Denial of Service attack when the Squid proxy is under load.

CVSS Score of 8.6
<https://nvd.nist.gov/vuln-metrics/cvss/v3-calculator?vector=AV:N/AC:L/PR:N/UI:N/S:C/C:N/I:N/A:H&version=3.1>

Updated Packages:

This bug is fixed by Squid version 6.5.

 In addition, patches addressing this problem for the stable
 releases can be found in our patch archives:

Squid 6:
 <http://www.squid-cache.org/Versions/v6/SQUID-2023_8.patch>

 If you are using a prepackaged version of Squid then please refer
 to the package vendor for availability information on updated
 packages.

Determining if your version is vulnerable:

 Squid older than 5.0 have not been tested and should be
 assumed to be vulnerable.

 All Squid-5.x up to and including 5.9 are vulnerable.

 All Squid-6.x up to and including 6.4 are vulnerable.

Workaround:

 There is no known workaround for this issue.

Contact details for the Squid project:

 For installation / upgrade support on binary packaged versions
 of Squid: Your first point of contact should be your binary
 package vendor.

 If you install and build Squid from the original Squid sources
 then the <squid-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> mailing list is your
 primary support point. For subscription details see
 <http://www.squid-cache.org/Support/mailing-lists.html>.

 For reporting of non-security bugs in the latest STABLE release
 the squid bugzilla database should be used
 <https://bugs.squid-cache.org/>.

 For reporting of security sensitive bugs send an email to the
 <squid-bugs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> mailing list. It's a closed
 list (though anyone can post) and security related bug reports
 are treated in confidence until the impact has been established.

Credits:

This vulnerability was discovered by Joshua Rogers of Opera
Software.

Fixed by The Measurement Factory.

Revision history:

 2023-10-12 11:53:02 UTC Initial Report