Search squid archive

Re: Get IP of denied request

On 2023-10-27 07:14, magri@xxxxxx wrote:
On 2023-10-26 08:37, magri@xxxxxx wrote:
TL;DR: is there a way to get/log the resolved ip of a denied request?

TLDR: Bugs notwithstanding, use %<a.

%<a doesn't work :-(

Sorry, my first response was wrong: As you have correctly explained, %<a is the destination address of the used next hop connection while dst ACL uses an address derived from the request-target. The two addresses do not have to match and, more importantly, it is wrong to expect a dst ACL to update/store that "used next hop address" information when the ACL itself does not open or reuse a connection to that address.

     acl matchDst1 dst 127.0.0.1
     acl markDst1 note matched=127.0.0.1
     http_access deny matchDst1 markDst1

     acl matchDst2 dst 127.0.0.2
     acl markDst2 note matched=127.0.0.2
     http_access deny matchDst2 markDst2

     logformat myFormat ... matched_dst=%note{matched}
     access_log ...

For long dst lists, the above approach will require scripting the
generation of the corresponding squid.conf portions or include files, of
course.

I don't think this scales to blacklists with 6-digit count sizes

I think that depends on the definition of "to scale".

and it also doesn't work for blacklisted networks :-(

Agreed. This approach can only log which dst ACL data matched, and that data may be different from the IP.

I hoped there would be a way to get the ip as some kind of variable like
the header fields in logformat.

Yes, I know. I was just documenting an existing workaround for cases where it is usable.

Any ideas?

I have three:

1. Enhance Squid to resolve transaction destination address once (on first use/need). Remember/reuse resolved IP addresses. Log them via some new %resolved_dst and %dst_resolution_detail codes.

This improvement will help address a few use cases unrelated to this discussion, but it will _not_ tell you which of the resolved addresses actually matched which ACL. You will be able to guess in many cases, but there will be exceptions.

2. Add a Squid feature where an evaluated ACL can be configured to annotate the transaction with the information about that evaluation.

To start with, we can support annotations for _matched_ dst ACLs. For example:

    # When matches, sets the following master transaction annotations:
    # * badDestination_input: used destination address (IP or name)
    # * badDestination_match: the matched destination IP
    # * badDestination_value: the matched ACL parameter value
    # * badDestination_ips: resolved destination IP(s)
    # * badDestination_errors: DNS resolution and other error(s)
    # * badDestination_matches: number of matches (this transaction)
    # * badDestination_evals: number of evaluations (this transaction)
    acl badDestination dst --on-match=annotate 127.0.0.0/24 10.0.0.1

If the same ACL matches more than once, the last(?) match wins, but the aclfoo_matches annotation can be used to detect these cases. The aclfoo_evals annotation can be used to detect whether this ACL was "reached" at all.

If really needed, we can support turning individual annotations on and off, but I doubt that complexity is worth associated performance savings. After all, most ACLs will only match once per transaction lifetime (for correctly written configurations). Access.log will be configured to only log annotations of interest to the admin, of course.

The above approach can be extended to provide ACL debugging aid:

    # Dumps every mismatch information to cache.log at level 1
    acl goodDestination dst --on-mismatch=log 127.0.0.0/24

    # Dumps every evaluation information to cache.log at level 1
    acl redDestination dst --on-eval=log 127.0.0.0/24

3. Add a Squid feature where Squid (optionally) maintains an internal database of recent ACL evaluation history and makes that information accessible via cache manager queries like "which ACLs matched transaction X?" (where X is logged %master_xaction ID).

The three sketched options are not mutually exclusive, of course. All require non-trivial code changes.

Would any of the above options address your needs? Any preferences or spec adjustments?

Thank you,

Alex.

Is there any way to get the ip logged that was used in the dst-acl aside
from debug logging? Maybe through some annotation mechanism?

Squid version is 6.2, as 6.4 crashes with assertion errors here, too.

thanks,
Martin