Search squid archive

Re: Seeking Help with SSL Bump Configuration for ECDSA Ciphers in Squid

On 2023-09-25 05:31, nikhil deshpande wrote:

Any update on this?

This is not really an "update" because this mailing list has not received or has not posted the original email quoted below:
https://lists.squid-cache.org/pipermail/squid-users/2023-September/thread.html

On Thu, Sep 14, 2023 at 6:05 PM Shyam varun <shyam3898@xxxxxxxxx <mailto:shyam3898@xxxxxxxxx>> wrote:

    Dear Squid Mailing List Community,

    I hope this email finds you well. I am currently working on
    configuring SSL bump in Squid proxy server to support ECDSA ciphers,
    and I am seeking assistance with a particular issue I've encountered.

    To provide some context:

    - *Squid Version:* Squid 5.2

Please note that Squid v5 is not officially supported by the Squid Project. Please consider upgrading to Squid v6.

    - *OpenSSL Version*: OpenSSL 1.1.1l
    - *OS:* Alpine Linux v3.16
    - *_Squid Configuration: _
    *

            */sslproxy_cert_error allow all/*

            */sslcrtd_program /usr/lib/squid/security_file_certgen -s
            /var/lib/ssl_db -M 4MB/*

    */
    /*

            */http_port 3129 ssl-bump generate-host-certificates=on
            dynamic_cert_mem_cache_size=4MB
            cert=/opt/ssl/intermediate_certificate.pem
            key=/opt/ssl/intermediate_key.pem
            options=SINGLE_DH_USE,SINGLE_ECDH_USE tls-dh=/opt/dhparam.pem/*

    */
    /*

            */tls_outgoing_options min-version=1.1  options=NO_SSLv3/*

    */
    /*

            */acl step1 at_step SslBump1/*

            */ssl_bump peek step1/*

            */ssl_bump bump all/*

    The goal of my configuration is to enable SSL bump for ECDSA
    ciphers, specifically the "ECDHE-ECDSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384" and
    "ECDHE-ECDSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256" cipher suites. However, I've run
    into challenges and issues while trying to achieve this.

Are you trying to bump TLS client connections when and only when the TLS client is offering to use one of those ciphers in its ClientHello message? Or do you want Squid to use one of those ciphers when bumping all TLS client connections? Or something else? Please clarify.

If Squid logs ERRORs or WARNINGs to cache.log at startup, especially messages that are seemingly related to TLS and http_port configuration, please share them.

FWIW, to restrict Squid use of ciphers on accepted TLS client connections, use the http_port (or https_port) "cipher" option. For example,

    https_port 3129 ssl-bump ... \
        cipher=DHE-RSA-AES128-GCM-SHA256:DHE-RSA-AES256-GCM-SHA384

If you tried that, and it did not work, please detail what did not work. Providing a pointer to raw TLS ClientHello/ServerHello messages (in libpcap format that Wireshark can grok) exchanged by the TLS client and Squid may be helpful. These packets should show ciphers offered by TLS client and ciphers offered by Squid.

Providing a pointer to compressed Squid cache.log with debug_options set to ALL,9 collected while reproducing the issue using a dedicated transaction may also help: https://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/BugReporting#debugging-a-single-transaction

Thank you,

Alex.

    *Things I tried:*

     1. I created an ECDSA-based certificate chain using OpenSSL.
     2. I configured the ECDSA-based certificate certs in squid as shown
        in above snippet but still not able to make it work.

    I've thoroughly reviewed the Squid documentation and online
    resources, but I haven't been able to resolve these issues on my own.

    I would greatly appreciate any guidance, insights, or assistance
    from the Squid community regarding the proper configuration for SSL
    bump with ECDSA ciphers. If you have successfully configured Squid
    to support ECDSA ciphers or if you have expertise in this area, your
    input would be invaluable.

    Thank you in advance for your time and support. I look forward to
    your responses and insights.