Search squid archive

Re: cachemgr.cgi & Internal Error: Missing Template MGR_INDEX

On 7/28/23 20:08, Brendan Kearney wrote:

i am running squid 6.1 on fedora 38, and cannot get the cachemgr.cgi working on this box.  I am getting the error:

Internal Error: Missing Template MGR_INDEX

when i try to connect using the cache manager interface.

Hi Brendan,

AFAICT, Squid v6 looks for a template file called "MGR_INDEX". Squid checks up to three directories (in the listed order):

* <error_directory>
* DATA_DIR / "errors" / <error_default_language>
* DATA_DIR / "errors" / "templates"

... where

* <error_directory> and <error_default_language> are the values of the corresponding squid.conf directives; they (and the corresponding list items above) are unused by default;

* DATA_DIR is set by ./configure --datadir (including its --datarootdir- or --prefix-dependent default value);

* "errors" and "templates" are those exact words.

For example, in my test without those squid.conf directives configured, Squid v6 tried to load /usr/local/squid/share/errors/templates/MGR_INDEX

Where is your MGR_INDEX file? Is it readable by Squid?

If you start your Squid with "-X", then you can grep cache.log for MGR_INDEX to find the location(s) Squid was considering. For example, I see the following cache.log line:

2023/07/28 22:32:41.589| 50,3| fs_io.cc(60) file_open: error opening file /usr/local/squid/share/errors/templates/MGR_INDEX: (2) No such file or directory

It is possible that your Squid loads the file but cannot serve it when satisfying the cache manager request. If that happens, it could be a Squid bug. I did not test things that far.

HTH,

Alex.

oddly, when i connect from a different host running squid, using the older squid 4.14 on fedora 32 cachemgr.cgi, i am able to get into the cache manager interface.  is there something i am missing?

thanks,

brendan