Search squid archive

Re: Stack overflow with large IP lists

On 27/07/23 04:22, Alex Rousskov wrote:>
* I am curious whether your specific use case (going beyond splay tree destruction) be better addressed by a different storage type than splay trees. For example, have you considered whether using a IP address-friendly hash would be faster for, say, one million IP addresses?

There is a trie algorithm developed for rbldnsd which is extremely efficient for IP address storage and lookup on large lists. Using that for Squid ACL has been on my TODO list for years.

That software also contains efficient algorithms for automatic aggregation of overlapping IP ranges. Which is functionality Squid has needed for along time.

Any volunteers to assist with that are very welcome. Please contact squid-dev mailing list for followup.

Amos