Search squid archive

Re: How to build Squid 6

On 23/07/23 11:57, Henning Svane wrote:
Hi Alex

I have now followed the instruction below.
All compiling and building was done without problems.

When I run
sudo systemctl status squid
I get this message
Unit squid.service could not be found.
And /usr/sbin/squid do not exist

What do I miss?

The instructions Alex gave will build Squid under a /usr/local directory.

To have Squid installed where the system package would put it you need these ./configure options:

--prefix=/usr \
--localstatedir=/var \
--libexecdir=${prefix}/lib/squid \
--datadir=${prefix}/share/squid \
--sysconfdir=/etc/squid \
--with-default-user=proxy \
--with-logdir=/var/log/squid \
--with-pidfile=/run/squid.pid

I can see that the directory /etc/squid is not create I guess I have to make it myself, correct?
Can I used the old files from the old 5.2 installation?

If you wish to use the old config yes. Run "squid -k parse" first to see if there are any updates needed with the new version.

The /usr/lib/systemd/system/squid.service file from 5.2 might work, or you can also try the Debian 13 one attached.

HTH
Amos
## Copyright (C) 1996-2023 The Squid Software Foundation and contributors
##
## Squid software is distributed under GPLv2+ license and includes
## contributions from numerous individuals and organizations.
## Please see the COPYING and CONTRIBUTORS files for details.
##

[Unit]
Description=Squid Web Proxy Server
Documentation=man:squid(8)
After=network.target network-online.target nss-lookup.target

[Service]
Type=notify
PIDFile=/run/squid.pid
Group=proxy
RuntimeDirectory=squid
RuntimeDirectoryMode=0775
ExecStartPre=/usr/sbin/squid --foreground -z
ExecStart=/usr/sbin/squid --foreground -sYC
ExecReload=/bin/kill -HUP $MAINPID
KillMode=mixed
NotifyAccess=all

[Install]