Search squid archive

Re: Bind specific squid instance (port) to specific icap service

On 5/11/23 09:08, Ben Goz wrote:

On 11/05/2023 15:58, Alex Rousskov wrote:
On 5/11/23 06:26, Ben Goz wrote:

I have a machine with N (while N is always bigger than 1) different ip addresses and for each ip address I have a different squid instance. And I also have N icap servers. What is the best configuration that each squid will be attached to a different icap service?

Can you configure each Squid to use a different ICAP service (i.e. Squid instance #i would use ICAP service #i)? If the answer to that question is "no", then please detail what prevents you from using that (natural/obvious) solution.

It should be used with different pidfile correct?

What do you mean by "it"? The opening of your question states that you already have a machine with N Squid instances so, I assume, you already know how to run multiple Squid instances on the same machine. It does require instance-specific PID files (pid_filename in squid.conf). It is usually best to make that multi-Squid setup work well _before_ you add ICAP into the mix.

If you are asking about ICAP server configuration, then you should direct your question to ICAP server support. Each ICAP server has its own configuration language and caveats...

In squid.conf for Squid instance #i, you will use an icap_service directive to point that Squid instance #i to ICAP service #i (i.e. the ICAP service dedicated to Squid instance #i). There are more complicated ways to set this up, but this simple setup already addresses the requirements you have shared so far.

HTH,

Alex.