Search squid archive

Re: Is samba required for kerberos authentication

On 23/02/2023 2:04 pm, Lubos Uhliarik wrote:
Hi all,

I have a question regarding kerberos authentication[1]. Is samba service necessary to be installed on the same machine as squid is for kerberos authentication? Is it really a prerequisite? Isn't e.g. sssd an option?

No. Squid and the Linux/BSD Kerberos helper just need a valid keytab.

Samba is just one of several ways to manage that keytab file.

I am not sure about "sssd", it does seem to provide the right commands but I'm not sure if the resulting keytab is usable by the Squid helper.

However, sssd docs show what seems to be a dependency on Samba winbind for the Kerberos support. So it does not seem to meet your goal of avoiding Samba even if it could be used for Squid.

Cheers
Amos