Search squid archive

Re: Squid Dual HTTP & SOCKS Set-Up

On 19/01/2023 9:18 pm, Amos Jeffries wrote:
On 19/01/2023 12:30 am, Sneaker Space LTD wrote:
Didn't get any replies here - was wondering if anyone had any ideas?

Apologies, I meant to reply then end of year life happened.

On Tue, Nov 8, 2022 at 6:39 AM Sneaker Space LTD wrote:

    Hello everyone,

    Can anyone recommend a good setup for a dual HTTP and SOCKS proxy
    configuration?

    I want to obviously use Squid as the HTTP proxy and I also see
    that it may support SOCKS with the correct install binds, however,
    from my research, this would likely mean that I need to run two
    separate processes at the same time (Squid HTTP and Squid SOCKS)
    since apparently, SOCKS Squid can't handle both connections types
    at the same time.

AFAIK, the "existing state of Squid" at <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/Socks> is still correct.

To clarify a bit:

* the "bind=SOCKSbind"

   A SOCKS server should be capable of _receiving_ either SOCKS or non-SOCKS wrapped HTTP at the same port.

   Problems, **except** when the destination is another SOCKS server:
   1) cannot use tcp_outgoing_address
   2) NAT intercept and TPROXY traffic only expected to work

that should say " **not** expected to work".

* the "connect=SOCKSconnect" flag

 Status is unknown with current Squid versions. In theory it should imply that all outbound connections are going to SOCKS servers.

The project I was working on to resolve those problems with bind and make cache_peer configurable SOCKS support -  is outdated and most of the code needs to be re-written.

    I am wondering if there is any better solution to this? And if
    not, can these processes run off the same configuration, and will
    the SOCKS Squid process have the differences i.e is
    authentication, and logging the same?

As Matus danted. That is the best I found some years back, and quite portable. On some OS it is the only choice.

HTH
Amos