Search squid archive

Re: Squid web isolation

On 11/14/22 10:08 AM, Alex Rousskov wrote:
AFAICT, "Web Isolation" requires rewriting HTTP responses. Yes, Squid can use an ICAP/eCAP content adaptation service to rewrite HTTP responses.

I feel like just saying Web Isolation rewrites HTTP responses is about like saying you're going to experience moisture when standing in front of a tidal wave. Is it true? Yes. Does it convey scope? Not even remotely.

Aside:  I think the fact that Web Isolation uses JavaScript is ironic.

However, you would need to find or create a service that implements the guts of what Symantec calls "Web Isolation". I doubt you will find similar open source services.

Ya.... It seems as if Web Isolation does a full render of the requested page in a sandbox / custom web browser hostsed on the Web Isolation infrastructure and sends a responsive representation thereof to clients for use / interaction with. This is all done in the context of an HTTP reqeust (over HTTP and / or HTTPS?) in a seemingly very transparent way.

This infrastructure to do the rendering and recomposition to generate and send the inew faximily to the client is WAY beyond what Squid is designed to do.

I agree that this probably could be done through content adaptation. But this seems like it is an entire product / industry unto itself.

--
Grant. . . .
unix || die