Search squid archive

Re: What is in a name? Squid vs SQuID

On 10/3/22 13:52, Grant Taylor wrote:

I ran across the following statement referring to Squid in an ancient Sys Admin article talking about Linux Transparent Proxy.

Source Quench Introduced Delay (SQuID) is a popular freeware proxy server for UNIX machines (see "Software Resources" sidebar for more information).

Where the "Software Resources" sidebar has:

 Squid can be obtained from any of following sites:

http://squid.nalanr.net
ftp://squid.nlanr.net

The Squid Web site also contains a wealth of installation and configuration information. Squid manuals are also available from this site.

Does anyone know any history on Squid's name?  Was SQuID the proper name for the Squid caching proxy at one point in time?  Or is this perhaps a bad expansion in the article?

There is no relationship between the SQuID concept (RFC 1016) and our Squid Cache. I double-checked with Duane, the Squid creator. I bet the author of that article thought that Squid is an acronym and found a matching acronym in RFC 1016 :-).

HTH,

Alex.

Link - Linux Transparent Proxy (Sys Admin, May 1999, Volume 8, Issue 5, Article 3)
  - https://www.muppetwhore.net/sysadmin/html/v08/i05/a3.htm