Search squid archive

Re: [Troubleshoot] Squid 3.3 - Lots of 403 erros when reducing the workers number

On 9/9/22 04:20, Xavier Lecluse wrote:
In order to address some issues with Java clients, we tried to lower
the worker directive from 8 to 1, because of the relative low number
of simultaneous connections on our SSquid servers (about 100rq/s)
After reducing the worker value to 1, and restarting the proxies, we
observed a great number of 403 errors, so we decided to rollback to 8
workers.

- How the number of workers and these 403 errors can be correlated ?

I do not know the exact correlation vector in your environment, but
fewer workers means, among other things, smaller _aggregate_
authentication cache size and higher load on individual authentication
helpers. To pinpoint the correlation, we would need to know _why_ Squid
is generating 403 (Forbidden) errors.

Is there a specific way to find the reason ? Do I need to activate a certain logging level to see these traces ?
I will check in the actual logs and I'll come back if I don't find anything

There are many ways to investigate this. If you cannot figure it out, I hope that others on this mailing list can guide you.

The inital problem is from some java clients, which are using two TCP
sessions, one for the authentication, and another one for the HTTP(s)
requests. The fact is that the "second" session is not always opened
on the same worker, so ot considers that the authentication step has
not already been done.

Is there a way to address this issue ?

If (a request on) the second connection has enough information to link
it to the first/authenticated request/connection, then it may be
possible to configure Squid and write authentication helpers in such a
way that the "other" worker knows that the client of the second
connection has already authenticated. The details would depend on the
authentication scheme and that "linking" mechanism.

Do you have any example of an authentication helper I can start with
? or an example on how to "link" events between workers ?

Sorry, I do not.

I was thinking that workers were quite "individuals" and did not
exchange anything (or verry little) with each other.

In this case, the exchange of information would be performed by your authentication helpers, not workers. A helper is a custom program that can do nearly anything as long as it obeys the helper API[1]. For example, helpers from different workers can share a custom authentication database. Squid workers will just read annotations sent to Squid by your helpers (e.g., already_authenticated_=yes). Your configuration can act on those annotations via the note ACL.

[1] https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/AddonHelpers

HTH,

Alex.

We are using two squid proxies (Squid 3.3)

Squid v3 is not officially supported. My answers below may apply to
Squid v3, but they are based on Squid v5+.

In order to address some issues with Java clients, we tried to lower
the worker directive from 8 to 1, because of the relative low number
of simultaneous connections on our SSquid servers (about 100rq/s)
After reducing the worker value to 1, and restarting the proxies, we
observed a great number of 403 errors, so we decided to rollback to 8
workers.

- How the number of workers and these 403 errors can be correlated ?

I do not know the exact correlation vector in your environment, but
fewer workers means, among other things, smaller _aggregate_
authentication cache size and higher load on individual authentication
helpers. To pinpoint the correlation, we would need to know _why_ Squid
is generating 403 (Forbidden) errors.

- Is there any "recommandations" about the number of workers to use,
for a given number of request/s ?

Workers are primarily a performance optimization. For related tuning
suggestions, please see
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale#How_to_configure_SMP_Squid_for_top_performance.3F