Search squid archive

Re: Scaling concurrent TCP sessions beyond ephemeral port range

On 9/09/22 11:41, Praveen Ponakanti wrote:
Hi Alex,

Thanks for all the help from the squid dev group with upstreaming the enhancement to scale up outbound TCP sessions on Linux with the IP_BIND_ADDRESS_NO_PORT sockopt flag. Our canary instances have been doing great the last few weeks with the code patch prior to merge.

A few followup questions (not urgent) :

  * Do we know which 5.x version will include the patch? I do not see it
    listed in the change log for squid-5.7.

Squid-5 is in "stable" release cycle already which means the changes applied to it are quite restricted.

IMO this change is more of a performance optimization than a bug fix, so this is being left for Squid-6 which is supposed to start releasing in a few months (Feb 2023).

  * We have a large number of workers (30) to help with handling a
    high RPS. However, TCP session reuse does not seem to be optimal
    even with server_persistent_connections enabled as a new outbound
    session would have to be opened up if the request is proxied by a
    kid worker that doesn’t already have a connection to that
    destination. Is there something that can be done to improve this
    with later versions of squid? Would be glad to help out if anyone
    has some suggestions.

It sounds to me like your situation is one that this system architecture was designed to service: <https://wiki.squid-cache.org/ConfigExamples/ExtremeCarpFrontend>

Cheers
Amos