Search squid archive

Re: adding cache_control = nocache to http request using squid transparent proxy

On 29/07/22 23:39, muhanad wrote:
Hi

I apologize for my late reply. I guess I wasn't fully clear about my reason
for why I need to stop the contents from being cached.
First, here in Iraq the internet service is extremely expensive for ISP to
provide services for home users.
The ISP usually pay 25$ per 1Mbit/sec of bandwidth to the government on the
other hand the end users expect to pay 2$ per 1Mbit/sec. so the ISPs need to
rely heavily on caching and CDNs. Most of CDN companies hesitate heavily
before operating their services in Iraq and most of ISPs can't provide the
infrastructure for CDN operations ( namely high bandwidth required by CDN
vendors such us Akamai, CDN77, etc. ) this led us to make our company
specialized in providing caching and CDN traffic for ISPs.
The issue we are facing here is some of the CDNs we have provide cacheable
HTTP content, the ISPs that use our services just cache these contents on
their local cache engines thus their traffic consumption from our CDNs will
drop significantly causing us huge revenue losses because the CDN is still
consuming bandwidth and minimal bandwidth. For this I am asking is there a
way by using transparent Squid proxy to turn this cacheable content to
non-cacheable one?.

What you want then is actually the "no-store" control. To prevent recipients storing the response.

  reply_header_add Cache-Control no-store

Cheers
Amos