Search squid archive

Re: Squid 3-5 CPU optimization and best practise .

On 3/31/22 11:04, Ahmad Alzaeem wrote:

My main question is , is there any major changes in squid 5 that make it faster than squid 3 or squid 4 in terms of low CPU usage?

I do not recall any _major_ changes in that area, but the http_port worker-queues option may be of interest to those looking for performance optimizations.

Is there any best practice I can use to lower the cpu usage or response time ?

YMMV, but I would start by using (the right number of) SMP workers with cpu_affinity_map and worker-queues. More on that at
https://wiki.squid-cache.org/Features/SmpScale#How_to_configure_SMP_Squid_for_top_performance.3F

Beyond that, one would have to analyze your Squid performance to find out performance bottleneck(s) and then try to eliminate them or reduce their impact.

Like Deny caching on the HDD or server_persistent_connections off  similar directives

Disabling persistent connections will make things _worse_ in many cases but YMMV. Whether cache_dirs (and even shared memory cache) slow down or speed up an average response depends on your environment -- measure and adjust/remove accordingly.

HTH,

Alex.