Search squid archive

Re: Dynamic delay pools in squid?

On 17/03/22 03:37, Alberto Montes de Oca wrote:
Hi guys, I´d like to implement some bandwidth management using squid delay pools, but so far I can´t find any solution/example to do it dynamically, in my case what I want to accomplish is this: I have a 10Mb/s Internet connection, I want to use let´s say 6Mb/s for the standard users, and reserve 4Mb/s for IT users, servers, etc. I want to split the 6Mb/s bandwidth between the connected users at a given time, something like (6Mb / N_users) where N_users is the amount of users connected at a time. If there are 10 users connected they´ll get more bandwidth than if there were 30 users connected. I don´t want to split the bandwidth with a fixed percent for each user. Can this be done?

This is effectively what you are describing:

 acl standard_users ...

 delay_pools 2

 # 6 Mb/s pool for "standard users"
 delay_class 1 1
 delay_parameters 1 786432/-1
 delay_access 1 allow standard_users
 delay_access 1 deny all

 # 4 Mb/s pool for everything else
 delay_class 2 1
 delay_parameters 2 524288/-1
 delay_access 2 deny standard_users
 delay_access 2 allow all

Please be aware that you *will* see what looks like unfair/unbalanced use of traffic by users. Simply a side effect of the N_users value changing constantly on a per-request basis *within* each second.

Your system QoS features are the place to go for better bandwidth management beyond simplistic Mb/s rate limits. Squid is able to classify traffic with TOS or NFMARK for the QoS systems to use in their policy decisions.
see
 <http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/tcp_outgoing_tos/>
 <http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/tcp_outgoing_mark/>

Amos