Search squid archive

Re: Domain fronting detection

On 16/03/22 08:09, Jason Spashett wrote:
Hello squid-users,

I wonder if there is a set of workable acls at present that can detect and/or block domain fronting.

Unfortunately no.

By way of my understanding, that would be comparing the TLS SNI during a client connecting to squid and issuing a CONNECT method. Squid would bump that TLS request to also examine each and every Host header and compare it to the TLS SNI to see if there is a discrepancy.

Looking at the code at the moment I can only see absolute URL vs host header checks, which do not appear to look at the CONNECT TLS SNI, which I think to be found in the master xaction.

This was part of the original intended design of that class. But there has been significant pushback against having any kind of connection between two "master transactions" and work in underway now to revert the class.

Amos