Search squid archive

Re: AWS NLB Proxy Protocol V2

On 10/18/21 12:11 PM, Ty Martin wrote:

> I am looking to run Squid as a forward proxy with basic auth in Docker
> on AWS ECS behind a network load balancer. I seem to have things up and
> running for the most part; however, I am having difficulty in getting
> proxy protocol to work so that I get access to client IP addresses
> beyond that of the private IPs of my NLB. As soon as I enable proxy
> protocol v2 on the AWS NLB, requests to Squid start failing with errors
> similar to the following:
>
> Squid log: `1634330668.200      5 <nlb-private-ip> NONE_NONE/400 2032 -
> error:invalid-request - HIER_NONE/- text/html`
> Client log: `X-Squid-Error: ERR_PROTOCOL_UNKNOWN 0`

> http_port 3128

You must use require-proxy-header http_port option to tell Squid to
always expect/require PROXY protocol messages on connections to that
listening  port. Otherwise, Squid will expect naked HTTP traffic and
fail to parse incoming (PROXY protocol) connection bytes.

According to proxy_protocol_access documentation, after adding
require-proxy-header to http_port, you must also use
proxy_protocol_access to tell Squid which TCP connections to allow on
that port (and, hence, which PROXY protocol messages to trust). Denied
connections will be closed.

HTH,

Alex.