Search squid archive

Re: Usage of --enable-gnuregex on FreeBSD?

On 13/06/21 12:37 am, Olivier W wrote:
Hello,

I use Squid on FreeBSD.
In the past, with Squid 3.5.x and FreeBSD 11.x, I was able to use PCRE
regexp without any problems.

Now, on FreeBSD 13.0 and Squid 4.14, PCRE regexp don't work out of the
box: I have to compile Squid with the option "--enable-gnuregex" to
make it work.
I found this problem when I migrated from FreeBSD 11.x and Squid 3.5.x
to FreeBSD 12.1 and Squid 4.9 but I don't know exactly when it
appeared.

In Squid's configure.ac, it says I shouldn't have to use
"--enable-gnuregex", or only for some specific cases:
https://github.com/squid-cache/squid/blob/master/configure.ac#L3525

Without PCRE regexp, I can't use rules like:
acl example url_regex -i ^http:\/\/www\.example\.com\/.*?\.js
the problem is the lazy quantifier.

Any idea why it is happening?

PCRE is not an officially supported library with Squid. It builds, but only "works" when non-backtracking regex features are used.

The type of pattern you have requires backtracking.

Is there something which could have changed on Squid or FreeBSD which
could have created this problem?

Insufficient data.

Should I ask the FreeBSD port maintainer of Squid to compile with this option?

No. That old GNU library is deprecated and will be replaced with std::regex C++ feature in coming versions.

Amos