Search squid archive

Re: Squid 5 service stops after assertion failure

On 1/24/21 5:00 PM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
> On 25/01/21 10:42 am, Vieri wrote:
>>
>> After the assertion failure Squid tries to restart a few times
>> (assertion failures seen again) and finally exits.
>> A manual restart works, but I don't know for how long.
>>
>> The external script "bllookup" is probably responsible for bad output,

> That is a certainty.

>> but maybe Squid could handle it without crashing.

> As you noticed, Squid halts service only after the helper fails 10
> multiple times in a row. Before that Squid is restarting the helper to
> see if it was a temporary issue.

AFAICT, this Squid worker (rather than the helper) crashes/asserts. The
master process restarts the worker 10 times (because the worker keeps
crashing/asserting) and then gives up and kills the entire instance.

> Would you prefer Squid sucks up all the TCP/IP resources on the machine
> for clients waiting on this helper to start work?

> Or Squid to start mixing up the results so each client A lookup is
> determining the output of some other client B's transaction?

FWIW, I would prefer if Squid worker did not assert. Whether the worker
should quit when its helper fails is debatable and perhaps should be
configurable. In most environments/cases, killing the affected Squid
_transaction_ is much better than killing the Squid worker (and then
killing the entire Squid instance), but there may be exception worth
supporting (via configuration).

HTH,

Alex.