Search squid archive

Re: Define and use a variable in squid.conf (Was: What happens when duplicate external_acl_type are mentioned)

On 03/12/18 9:51 am, Alex Rousskov wrote:

May be atleast 'if' statement can have define variable support.
The "I will just add this little thing in this little corner" is how we
ended up with terrible syntax in the first place...

Current syntax isn't outright bad. Its decent enough.

Only reason its bit terrible is because backward compatibility is given a priority and attempt is made to NOT to break old squid.conf.

So adding a new or better config and better defaults is bit tough.

May be squid.conf should have versioning processor at top.

$ cat squid.conf
cfgversion 4.0
# new syntax follows

If no version is mentioned existing syntax is assumed.

This way we do not have to worry much about backward compatibility.

Ofcourse this is a different subject altogether so I will end here on this.

Because it already has similar support for ${process_number} etc.
Yes, and preprocessor macros are supported throughout the configuration
file, not just in if statements. However, they are preprocessor macros,
not configuration variables. We can add support for custom preprocessor
macros (in addition to the existing built-in ones), but, again, doing so
correctly requires some serious work. Meanwhile, template substitutions
are available as a local ready-to-use alternative.

Thanks a lot again for your inputs.

Regards

Amish.