Search squid archive

Re: About SSL peek-n-splice/bump configurations

> > So, in a brief the confi is:
> >
> > ssl_bump peek step1 all
> > ssl_bump peek step2 noBumpSites
> > ssl_bump stare step2 all
>
> ... which should be equivalent to an even simpler config:
>
>   ssl_bump peek step1
>   ssl_bump peek noBumpSites
>   ssl_bump stare all

Yes, i've tested and squid log shows the same. So,it appears that squid takes the same actions.

> ... which, for many reasonable definitions of noBumpSites (that match during
> step1 if and only if they should match during step1), can be simplified even
> further:
>
>   ssl_bump peek noBumpSites
>   ssl_bump stare all

Same as above, this "compact" config seems to be the same as the three above bump ruleset.

Please, let me know if I understand why those cfg are equals or equivalent to config I've posted as a "final one".

First alternative difference:

>   ssl_bump peek step1  # implicit "all" at step1
>   ssl_bump peek noBumpSites # As there no step specified, squid match at any step then this line, match at step1 and then at step2 , so when a match occurs at step2 it precludes future bumping of the sites listed in the ACL.
>   ssl_bump stare all # Here there is either no step2 (and any step) specified but, because in the previous line You has (implicitly) peeked at step2, the stare'ing not (or can´t) applies to sites listed in ACL (they were peeked at step2).

Second alternative difference:

>   ssl_bump peek noBumpSites # Like previous example, but..I guess that as there is no "all" explicit, this line do a "peek all at step1" (implicitly) and at step2 sites listed in ACL are being peek'd. To clarify, if I would add an "all" at the end of this line, then all traffic would be spliced.
>   ssl_bump stare all # There is no change between this line in both configs you've posted, So my "explanation" would be the same as of the "First alternative"

> However, please note that the three configs above implicitly rely on Squid
> splicing (or bumping) at step3 because of the previously matching
> step2 peek (or stare) action and the lack of an explicit step3 rule.
> Whether Squid v4.2 actually does what it should be doing, I do not know.

Answered; squid "automagic " are working as spected. (Squid Cache: Version 4.2-20180902-r6d8f397)

> > 1: Is this peek-n-splice ruleset insecure?
>
> Define "secure".

Well, is not the same if there is a squid-TLS (in the LAN) between a client and sensitive external server when a TLS connection is being established as if there is nothing between they.

In this sense I would like to know how could I interference as less as possible with the squid in the middle when someone is accesing to a site that I wish not to bump.
Or let the less quantity of security holes as possible.

> > 2: It is correct to say that those lines are not necessary/redundant?
>
> They should be redundant, but I do not know whether Squid v4.2
> implements this aspect of the specs correctly. I know that there were related
> implementation bugs in some Squid v3 releases. You can test and, if needed,
> file a bug report.
>

> > (#ssl_bump splice step3 noBumpSites/#ssl_bump bump step3 all)
>
> Please note that the meaning of your noBumpSites ACL changes from one
> step to another (because it gets more/different info). Thus, it is incorrect to
> say that
>
>   ssl_bump peek step1
>   ssl_bump peek step2 noBumpSites
>   ssl_bump splice step3 noBumpSites
>
> is always exactly equivalent to
>
>   ssl_bump peek step1
>   ssl_bump peek step2 noBumpSites
>   ssl_bump splice step3 all # should be optional
>
> When using the first configuration, it is possible that, in some specific case,
> noBumpSites matches during step2 but does not match during step3, and
> Squid proceeds to evaluating the remaining "..." rules in that specific case.
> Such sequence of events is not possible in the second configuration because
> splicing at step3 is unconditional there -- it does not rely on noBumpSites
> matches during step3.

OK, thanks to clarify that.

Last question.

When I do this:

ssl_bump splice noBumpSites
ssl_bump stare all

It is supposed that in this config I am (guessing), implicity, peeking  (first?) and splice at any step and bumping (implicity) at step3 sites that does not match with whitelist by staring at step2. Maybe something like that, I dont know.

The thin is that I see in the logs a tunnel but, instead an IP address it shows a domain. (TCP_TUNNEL www.dropbox.com:433) *and* a security ALERT. Saying that there is no IP that match with the xyz.net domain, or some like that.

So, taking into account the needs that I have already mentioned, what is the way I should take?

> HTH,

Always helps.

Thank You!