Search squid archive

Re: Warning in Cache.log

On 14/12/17 04:28, Alex Rousskov wrote:
On 12/13/2017 05:13 AM, Raju M K wrote:
I installed squid 3.5.25 on Ubuntu and in windows 10 with Diladele MSI.
In both cache.log files, I am getting below warning.
Few users got the same error but no solution for this.

2017/12/13 10:38:04 kid1| WARNING: no_suid: setuid(0): (22) Invalid argument

Alex.
P.S. IIRC, there was a similar problem with setuid(0) failures on
FreeBSD. It had a known excuse/explanation (which I do not recall).

IIRC, FreeBSD setuid() implementation produces their "error" if the process attempting to drop privileges has already dropped down to no-privileges before the setuid() call. Squid drops privileges both before and after fork()'ing a helper - so FreeBSD helpers always see it happen on helper startup.

Linux (CentOS and Ubuntu) handles that double-up silently - so when messages do show up there is always a security privilege problem going on. I'm not sure of Windows, but never heard of it happening there either.

Raju;

"Invalid Argument" apparently means either the privileges selected are not known to the OS kernel or the user account does not exist.

The privileges are being set to 0, so that value should be known to the kernel.

That leaves the user account name. The default name built into Squid is not a valid account on Linux or Windows (it is a FreeBSD standard name), so you do need to compile using --with-default-user=... and ensure the account mentioned there is valid on the machine Squid runs on.

Amos