Search squid archive

Re: Your cache is running out of filedescriptors

On 31/08/17 19:26, Vieri wrote:
I'd like to add a note to my previous message.

I set the following values, and I'll see what happens:

* hard nofile 65535
* soft nofile 16384

("hard" being a top limit a non-root process cannot exceed)

So I take it that Squid will start with a default of 16384, but will be able to increase up to 65535 if it needs to.

Squid starts with a fixed amount, either the limit you built it with or the max_filedescriptors config directive value. It will auto-shrink if those limits are too large for the system/ulimit settings, but will not auto-grow beyond.

By the way, restarting squid from the same shell (ssh) does not apply the new values.
I had to re-log into the system.

There's probably a ulimit command line option to apply the values without logging out.

"ulimit -n ..." should do it.

Amos