Search squid archive

Re: Squid reverse-proxy. How it decides when to refresh?

On 26/08/17 00:37, Alexander Lazarev wrote:
Hello guys!
I'm using squid as a reverse-proxy. And I can't understand how squid decides when to check for fresh version of file from origin server. It looks like for some documents it sends 'If-Modified-Since' or similar headers and if it gets 304, it serves file from cache. And for some documents it doesn't check for fresh version and always serves from cache. > I was testing that with curl without any additional headers. Can some explain how that works or where I can read about that in detail?

The HTTP specification RFC 723x series was re-written to be a lot more easily understood, so those are probably the best place to read up about it.

The features you are asking about are covered in:

Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Conditional Requests
 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7232>

Hypertext Transfer Protocol (HTTP/1.1): Caching
 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7234>

And is it possible to make squid always check for fresh version before serving from cache?

It does when needed. The situation may be clearer after reading the above.

Amos