Search squid archive

Re: host_verify_strict and wildcard SNI

On 07/07/16 12:30, Marcus Kool wrote:

Here things get complicated.
It is correct that Squid enforces apps to follow standards or
should Squid try to proxy connections for apps when it can?

I would say no: where it is possible for Squid to allow an app to work, even where it isn't following standards (without compromising security / other software / etc.) then Squid needs to try to make the app work.

Unfortunately, end users do not understand the complexities, and if an app works on their home internet connection and doesn't work through their school / office connection (which is router through Squid) then as far as they are concerned the school / office connection is "broken", even if the problem is actually a broken app.

This is made worse by (1) the perception that big businesses such as Microsoft / Apple / Google can never be wrong (even though this is not born our by experience of their software), and (2) the fact that app developers rarely seem at all interested in acknowledging/fixing such bugs (in my experience).

So in the end you have a choice: live with people accusing Squid of being "broken" and refuse to allow applications that will never be fixed to work, or work around the broken apps within Squid and therefore get them working without the cooperation of the app developers.

--
 - Steve Hill
   Technical Director

Direct contacts: