Search squid archive

Re: Websocket content adaptation

On 2016-06-28 04:23, Ozgur Batur wrote:
Hi,

ICAP handles plain HTTP very well but it is not possible to
filter/change or even log content of websocket communication after
websocket upgrade over HTTP as far as I know. Is there any plan or
interest in developing some capability for Squid to control websocket
communication content?

Not for adaptation. I plan to look into implementing WebSocket over HTTP/2 support.

But ICAP is not designed for non-HTTP protocols, and WebSockets is designed to transfer essentially random data with protection against modification. So there is not likely to be any adaptation possibility.

There is no defined request/response protocol since websocket is
basically a socket but regexp matching in incoming and outgoing
content(json, xml,raw) with URL and client metadata info may have some
application like data leak prevention or achieving in corporate
environment.

http_access type controls for WebSocket connection. Yes I hope those can be added once Squid is adjusted to understand how WebSockets frames operate. Right now there is only http_access for the HTTP message that WS uses to get through HTTP-only proxies.

Amos