Search squid archive

[SOLVED] Force LDAP groups to de-authenticate?

On Fri, 03 Jul 2015 18:08:49 +0000, Dan Purgert wrote:

> I'm setting up a squid proxy with LDAP user/group authentication, and so
> far have been able to sort out the problems I've run into with a little
> help from google and caches of the various squid mailing lists.
>
> Currently, it's in a mostly working state for nearly everything (i.e.
> user authentication, allowed/blocked based on what group a user belongs
> to, client pc auto-updates, etc.).  However, I can't figure out how to
> force a user to re-authenticate after a set interval of time (say 30
> mintues).
>

> Essentially, the idea is that the "less-privileged" users (i.e. the
> students) can get to the sites that they need for their day-to-day
> school work, but that their permissions should be able to be elevated
> for a set amount of time in the event the teacher deems it OK.
>
> Right or wrong, the administration doesn't want to go with one of the
> "big boys" in web filters, so I need to kick the users and force a re-
> auth, as this is for a school environment. It's small (only 10-15
> students at one time), but the students have already figured their way
> around the previous filter that was installed before my time.
>

> I know closing the browser clears out all the authentication tokens ...
> but hoping there's a way I can do this from the backend so there's no
> need to play those "okay, now close all your browsers" type games if a
> student gets the elevated permissions.
>

> Leads have pointed me to
>
>  - auth_param basic credentials_ttl <N> minutes
>
>  - authenticate_ttl <N> minutes
>
>  - authenticate_cache_garbage_interval <N> minutes
>
> Though I don't seem to be able to grasp the concept of getting them to
> do what I want (if it's possible)
>

> Thanks!

Thanks to everyone who sorted my incorrect understanding with the ttls /
garbage intervals.

Have finally gotten a response from the decision makers, and they're OK
with the explicit time limits for allowing "not school" type websites, so
that's the route we're going to pursue.