Search squid archive

Re: ssl_bump peek in squid-3.5.3

On Thu, 2015-04-23 at 17:18 +0930, Michael Hendrie wrote:

On 23 Apr 2015, at 4:28 pm, Michael Hendrie <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 23 Apr 2015, at 4:21 pm, Amos Jeffries <squid3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 23/04/2015 6:29 p.m., Michael Hendrie wrote:
Hi All

I’ve been running squid-3.4.x in tproxy mode with ssl_bump
server-first for some time and has been working great.

I have just moved to 3.5.3 to use peek to overcome some issues with
sites that require SNI to serve up the correct certificate.  In most
cases this is work well however I seem to have an issue that (so far)
only effects the Safari web browser with certain sites.  As an
example, https://twitter.com <https://twitter.com/> and
https://www.openssl.org <https://www.openssl.org/> will result in a
Safari error page “can’t establish a secure connection with the
server”.  There is also a correlating entry in the cache.log 'Error
negotiating SSL connection on FD 45: error:140A1175:SSL
routines:SSL_BYTES_TO_CIPHER_LIST:inappropriate fallback (1/-1)’

Please try the latest snapshot of 3.5 series. There are some TLS session
resume and SNI bug fixes.

Thanks Amos, but I did try squid-3.5.3-20150420-r13802 before posting….any other suggestions?

Michael

OK, I seem to have resolved this now, for the benefit of everyone else on the list:

In the above tests the generated certificate was being signed by a RootCA that was installed as trusted in the browser certificate store.

I had previously noticed in my test environment (and thought completely unrelated) that bumped requests using the new peek/bump in 3.5.x were not sending the entire certificate chain to the browser but since they trusted the RootCA that was fine.  In my production environment however I use an IntermediateCA to sign the bumped requests, this causes a browser error as the clients only trust the RootCA.  As part of investigation to resolve this, I found that adding ‘cafile=/path/to/signing_ca_bundle’ to the ‘https_port' line (which in my config is exactly the same file as ‘cert=‘) that all certs are sent to the client, and I no longer face the issue with Safari and https://twitter.com or https://www.openssl.org regardless of using RootCA or InterCA to sign bumped requests.

Not sure why but ‘ssl_bump server-first’ sends the entire chain without specifying ‘cafile=‘ and ‘ssl_bump peek/bump’ doesn’t…but anyway my problem is solved!

Michael

Michael,

Could you post your entire config here if possible?  Many of us continue to face challenges with ssl_bump and a working config would be great.  Thank you.

James