Search squid archive

Re: Log proxy hostname along with HTTP access URI

On 2015-02-25 03:44, Peter Oruba wrote:
Am 24.02.2015 um 15:39 schrieb Ron Wheeler :

On 24/02/2015 9:04 AM, Peter Oruba wrote:
Hello everybody,

I’d like to distinguish multiple clients that are behind NAT from Squid’s perspective. Proxy authentication or sessions are not an option for different reasons and the idea that came up was to assign each client a unique hostname through which Squid would be addressed (e.g. UUID1.proxy.example.com <http://uuid1.proxy.example.com/> and UUID2.proxy.example.com <http://uuid2.proxy.example.com/>) A DNS wildcard entry *.proxy.example.com <http://proxy.example.com/> would make sure each proxy referral points to the same machine. Question: Is there a way to let Squid log the DNS name through which a client referred to it? I was not able to find any example in this regard and I assume that the proxy hostname is „lost“ after the client's DNS lookup and that the client-proxy connection is established.

I think there is a major misunderstanding about how things work in the above.

With NAT authentication is not possible because the browser is not aware its talking to a proxy. It thinks its talking to the origin hostname. Given that situation, what proxy hostname are you expecting the browser to be "using" ?

The origin server hostname the browser was connecting to is in the Host: header and already logged as the URL hostname in access.log.

Not a direct answer but...
Is it possible to get this info from the log kept by the service(http) that is getting the request?

Virtual hosts on web servers?  Yes, the same principle, but on Squid.

If you are using virtual hosting with Squid reverse-proxy the client/browser destination domain (big hint in that name) and is again in the Host header and logged as the URL domain name.

Amos