Search squid archive

Re: configuring Eliezer RPMs for CentOS 6 for SMP

On 05/16/2014 06:47 PM, Fernando Lozano wrote:
Hi,

I don't quite agree with you. Let me expose my views so each member of
the list can weight pros and cons:

>Not answering this thread, but would like to ask some related points
>for anyone who may be listening in:
>
>1. RPMs.
>
>For practically everything else, I use RPMs for installation. For
>Squid, I've moved away from this approach. Standard RPMs still provide
>only 3.1.10. Non-standard RPMs, you have no idea where the next one is
>coming from, or whether it suits your needs. If you compile-your-own,
>you get the version you want, anytime you want
In my experience using "unofficial" rpms from the community is way
better than compile-your-own.  More people try, test and fix unofficial
rpms than your own build. When you get someone providing those RPMs for
many releases, lie Eliezer, you can trust it almost like the "official"
community packages from your distro.

Besides, in the rare occasions you really need a custom build you can
start from the SRPM and still get dependency management, integrity
verification and other RPM/yum features that you loose then you
compile-your-own.

Better to help improve the RPM packages for the benefit of all the
community than selfishly wasting your time on a build only for yourself.

+1.  administrators that run production proxies usually want
stability and the fact that numerous others use it is a reason to trust
the stability.

The statement that RPMs add an unnecessary component that may need debugging
is utter nonsense.

Marcus