Search squid archive

Advise about cache store in SMP mode, single disk

Hi there,

I have a server configured to run in SMP mode with two cache stores: a shared rock store and a dedicated aufs store for each worker. But I have only one physical disk (actually a hardware raid).

My preliminary tests show that having the shared rock store brings better response times than having only the aufs stores. But, as I still have some disk contention between workers, I wonder if I should replace the aufs stores by a diskd one.

Squid docs are not clear about how diskd is supposed to work in a SMP setup: will I get only one diskd process, and so eliminate the disk contention from aufs stores? Or will squid start a diskd daemon for each worker?

I also guess building a CARP setup wound not be so benefical because there would be still many workers competing for the same physical disk.

[]s, Fernando Lozano