Search squid archive

Re: Re: squid dstdom_regex not working as expected

On 1/11/2013 11:36 p.m., Sachin Gupta wrote:
We want to block URLs like mail.yahoo.com, but not yahoo.com.

Using dstdom_regex acl for this.

Regards

On Fri, Nov 1, 2013 at 4:01 PM, Sachin Gupta <chingupt@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi All,

I have configured a list of blacklist URLs.
One of these is set to (\.*)\.yahoo\.com

What that pattern matches is any series of dots '.' followed by ".yahoo.com"

For example it *literally* matches:
  .yahoo.com
 ..yahoo.com
 ...yahoo.com
.....................yahoo.com

but X.yahoo.com or www.yahoo.com since they contain non-. letters at the start will never match.

A working regex would be one of these (all of them are the same):
  (.*)\.yahoo\.com
  .*\.yahoo\.com
  \.yahoo\.com

But the proper way to match this with Squid is dstdomain ACL type.

  acl allow_domains dstdomain yahoo.com
  acl block_domains dstdomain .yahoo.com

  http_access deny block_domains !allow_domains

NOTE: the complexity here is only because of the requirement to allow "yahoo.com" without a third-level label while denying all the subdomains with a label. Normally one just either allows or blocks the whole of dstdomain .yahoo.com

Now if i try to access URLs http://mail.yahoo.com from my browser, it blocks.

Strange mail.yahoo.com will not match that regex you show. Perhapse you have some other reason for it blocking?

Amos