Search squid archive

Has anyone heard about this option??

I was sitting trying to figure out what every config directive of squid does.
I starte reading again and again And then I see:
http://www.squid-cache.org/Doc/config/read_ahead_gap/

Why would I need that anyway? wont my little 3.X ghz machine will do all the tricks?
So I tried to understand what some code means etc.
Can anyone tell me what is this directive good for? why would I need a read_ahead if the network between the proxy and me is OK?

Thanks,
Eliezer