Search squid archive

Re: Squid configure options

On 22/07/2013 6:08 a.m., Golden Shadow wrote:
Dear Squid Users,

I found the following squid configure options online, but I did not find enough information about them. What do they mean? Is it better to build my squid with these options?

--disable-poll  --enable-epoll , I know this would disable poll and enable epoll, which both wait for some event on a file descriptor, but is it useful to disable poll and enable epoll with squid?

Not really.

--enable-async-io=64

--with-aufs-threads=64  , I think this option is implicitly included in the previous one. How many aufs threads should I use? I read it is related to the number of cache directories, would you please explain how it is related?

The above means each AUFS cache_dir is allocated 64 threads for I/O. The number of threads determines how many parallel operations (read/write/create/delete) Squid can perform on any one AUFS cache storage area. It is bounded by the physical disk I/O bandwidth and controller abilities; too many and the disk I/O controller can't keep up, too few and Squid gets blocked waiting on threads to become available. You probably want to have a good read of your disks I/O specifications to see what the controller can handle before tuning this.

  Is 64 a good value knowing that I configured squid with the following cache_dirs:
cache_dir aufs /mnt/cachedrive2 1426227    128     512
cache_dir aufs /mnt/cachedrive3 1426227    128     512
cache_dir aufs /mnt/cachedrive4 1426227    128     512
cache_dir aufs /mnt/cachedrive5 427008      128     256

With TB sized drives you would get far more benefit by setting the AUFS cache_dir min-size parameter and using a rock cache_dir on each drive as well for small objects. Squid has a fixed 2^24 count of objects per cache_dir. To fill those 1.4TB caches you need an average object size of 90KB stored there or it will reach that count limit before filling up.

Amos