Search squid archive

Cache compression

Can Squid be made to compress its on-disk cache storage at all?

Assuming that's not readily available, how hard is it to use a
custom/alternative storage backend with Squid?  I searched for a bit
and didn't see anything that suggested Squid has any helpful
infrastructure for alternative pluggable backend stores, but thought
it wouldn't hurt to ask here in case I missed anything.  Thanks!