Search squid archive

Re: SQUID / transparent proxying

On 11/05/2013 11:35 a.m., Warner Moore wrote:
I've been using SQUID for years to terminate inbound client connections to externally facing web sites. With SQUID 2.6, I specified transparent in the https_port, setup some acls, and it worked seamlessly.

Really? "seamlessly"? I think you did not have it working at all then.

This same exact configuration will work identically in in all squid-2.6+ and squid-3.0+, even the 3.2/3.2 versions. Traffic will be terminated by Squid using the *single* static certificate you configured Squid with. All clients will get a popup on *every* HTTPS site they visit warning about a hijack by your proxy unless you have configured them to trust your self-signing CA. If you see anything different you have either *not* intercepted the traffic like you thought. Or the SSL on your network is fundamentally broken beyond repair.

I have been trying to get a similar configuration working with SQUID 3.3. Changing the 'transparent' to intercept, adding ssl-bump, and then setting ssl_bump client-first to the appropriate domains. Unfortunately, I'm receiving these errors:

2013/05/10 18:33:11 kid1|  NF getsockopt(SO_ORIGINAL_DST) failed on local=192.168.123.123:443 remote=4.4.4.4:11034 FD 12 flags=33: (92) Protocol not available

Ah, *NAT* is not working on the Squid box. This is unrelated to the HTTPS parts.

Will this configuration still work with modern SQUID or must a different approach be taken? I appreciate any help, this is starting to frustrate me.

The NAT operations _must_ be done on the Squid box. Use policy routing to move packets between machines without NAT to get them to the Squid box.

Amos