Search squid archive

Re: [BUG] Squid 3.2.x drops connections on -k rotate

On 1/05/2013 4:04 a.m., Luciano Ruete wrote:
Hi,

We are using squid 3.2.9 (but I checked change log up to 3.2.11 before writing this mail).

If a user behind proxy starts a long file download and in the meantime we do a -k rotate, that download gets broken.

I think this is a bug.

If it is actually Squid breaking the download that would be a bug. However -k rotate does not do anything with active connections.
It:
* restarts helpers, gracefully so that all pending requests are still served. It MAY break connections which are midway through NTLM handshake setup, but that is a transitory issue and disappears immediately on client retry.
 * renames the log files and starts writing to the new main log(s).
* dumps the cache index journal out to a new file (swap.state) and starts using the new clean journal from that point onwards.

Apart from the swap.state generation all of this takes a few dozen milliseconds at most. I'm not sure how long the swap.state writing takes and how it overaps with the post-rotate resumption.

So can you please check your cache.log and system messages log carefully to ensure that; a) Squid is not in fact crashing during the rotate - which would definitely cut all transactions and b) how long the rotation is taking in the active worker process - more than a few ms rotation pausing time by Squid would allow TCP and NAT state timers to run out and play havoc with random connections.

Amos