Search squid archive

RE: Transparent Proxy Authentication.

> On 27/04/2013 8:52 p.m., Amir Mottaghian wrote:
> > Dear All
> >
> > Could you please guide me in order to configure authentication for
> > transparent proxy in squid?
>
> Please see the FAQ:
>   http://wiki.squid-
> cache.org/SquidFaq/InterceptionProxy#Why_can.27t_I_use_authentication
> _together_with_interception_proxying.3F

That's not really a useful answer though, is it?

You can't use the regular http "WWW-Authenticate" style authentication, but you can redirect the user to a captive portal style page and have them authenticate to that, then redirect back to the original address.

Have a look at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captive_portal for some info about the concept, and some limitations.

Making it work with squid is an exercise for the reader, although I'm sure someone has described a solution somewhere before.

James