Search squid archive

Re: Squid Accellerator with ethernal cache for fault tollerance

On 19/04/2013 8:00 p.m., Daniele Segato wrote:
Hi,

my need is to have Squid caching request to my server like this:
* do NOT bother the server more then once per minute to check if an update is available * if the server return a 500, go into timeout or something like this during an update keep sending the cached resource to the user

Ideally I would like to be able to turn off the server for maintenance while the Squid frontend keep returning request.

I've been trying to achieve this for a while now without success.

Is this possible?

Yes. These are both HTTP features.

Can you address me in the right direction?

The bit you are missing is the stale-* cache controls. See http://www.mnot.net/blog/2007/12/12/stale

Squid supports stale-if-error since 3.2, but not yet stale-while-revalidate. There is a bit more internal plumbing to be created before that will work properly.

Thanks.

This is my configuration file (included in the main squid.conf):
Which currently cache updating every minute but start givin error after that minute if the server is took down.

# http://wiki.squid-cache.org/SquidFaq/ReverseProxy
# http://www.visolve.com/squid/whitepapers/reverseproxy.php
# http://www.howtoforge.com/how-to-set-up-a-caching-reverse-proxy-with-squid-2.6-on-debian-etch # http://www.linuxhomenetworking.com/wiki/index.php/Quick_HOWTO_:_Ch32_:_Controlling_Web_Access_with_Squid

http_port localhost:280 accel ignore-cc defaultsite=localhost

Ah the good old localhost. Nice to know you have installed a web server there for all clients to access your website http://localhost/ with ...

cache_peer localhost parent 8080 0 no-query originserver no-digest default name=myAccel

refresh_all_ims off

# IP address of web server
#httpd_accel_host 127.0.0.1
# Port of web server
#httpd_accel_port 8080
# Forward uncached requests to single host
#httpd_accel_single_host on
#httpd_accel_with_proxy on
#httpd_accel_uses_host_header off

The above are all config options from squid-2.5 an older. No time like now to drop them completely.

acl Safe_ports port 280
http_access deny !Safe_ports

acl our_sites dstdomain 127.0.0.1 localhost mobc3.local
http_access allow our_sites
cache_peer_access myAccel allow our_sites
cache_peer_access myAccel deny all
<snip comments>
# cache services
refresh_pattern /alfresco/service/catalog        0    20%    4320
refresh_pattern /alfresco/service/stream        0    20%    4320
refresh_pattern /alfresco/service/news            0    20%    4320
# do not cache everything else
refresh_pattern .                    0    20%    0

All of the values on refresh_pattern line has meaning and may be applied independent of the other values. That 20% does something other than "do not cache", so you probably want that to be "0%".

Amos