Search squid archive

Re: cpu profiling

On 6/03/2013 5:57 a.m., jiluspo wrote:
Good day,

	I was hoping where I could find users/developers squid's CPU
profiling and benchmarks was published. I'd like to know where squid is more
hungrier.

I did some test which kind of unclear for me to get conclusion. Currently at
connection established vs request/sec.

Hi jipespo,
 You are asking two things..

service metrics:

The HTTP statelessness and keep-alive features mean that req/sec should be many, many times larger than connections/sec established. There is no limit to the number of transactions performed on one connection. The whole connections vs req/sec varies from second to second depending on what the traffic behaviour is.

The most accurate, reliable metrics in this area are:
 req/sec completed - for total proxy service capacity
connections/sec opened - for new-client service response times. This will be capped somewhere by TCP port and socket availability.

We have a collection of submissions at http://wiki.squid-cache.org/KnowledgeBase/Benchmarks. But this does not include any connection established information.

CPU profiling:

Depends a lot on the traffic load and VERY much on the configuration. We (the squid dev team and various others) have made some attempts on and off to get a usable corpus of documentation - but have not yet succeeded in creating anything close to generically usable.

Web Polygraph is used for seed testing, but other than some req/sec metric we don't record much out of it.

There is a profiler built into Squid that traces function usage.
- It does not work very well and crashes on multi-threaded components like AUFS. The fix got shunted down my TODO list.

oprofile and strace tools can get a detailed analysis of Squid library usage. - AFAIK, both of these only measure the amount of work offloaded into kernel or system libraries. So they won't give you much on what Squid was doing internally.

Amos