Search squid archive

Re: Failover from direct connect to sibling

On 04.12.2012 05:41, Kim Zeitler wrote:
Hello,

we are running 2 squid servers on separate gateway machines each with
its own internet connection.

Our clients are given their configuration via WPAD.

Recently we have had some trouble with the main connection and now
would like to implement following scenario:

Both Squid Servers as siblings, if the direct connection of one of
the servers dies, it uses its sibling to provide a response.

I found some older posts here, sadly only 'use direct if parent dies'.

That is because of the definitions of sibling and parent types. Sibling is a cache in the same cluster/pool/group which may have a copy of the object if we don't - they do not normally provide any upstream connectivity. Parent is a proxy providing connectivity upstream towards the server where the resources is hosted - they may or not provide caching.

Siblings are also normally sharing the same upstream connectivity, so if DIRECT has been tried and failed there is no reason to expect a sibling to have better connection. Whereas parent is expected to be useful as an alternative route.

The way to do this is to configure the proxies as _parent_ of each other, with prefer_direct to make them try DIRECT access first.

If you need to share cache data between them, setup a second linkage of type sibling for HTCP exchanges to happen on.

Amos