Search squid archive

Re: slow reconfigure on squid3

On 4/07/2012 7:49 p.m., Mr J Potter wrote:
Hi all,

thanks for your responses...

versions - I use the standard ones with Debian squeeze (2.7.stable9 and 3.1.6)

Yes there are lots of helpers - 25 NTLM helpers and 10 squiduguard
helpers, so this could account for slow reconfig.

Upgrading to 3.2 seems like a good bet - are there ready-rooled squid
3.2 debs available for Squeeze or do I have to make my own?

Right now you have to roll your own. There is a 3.1.20 in Wheezy/Testing repositories that should work a lot better than 3.1.6 from Squeeze. You may want to try that and see if it resolves this issue, there were quite a few resource consumption issues resolved across the 3.1 series.

We currently run squid in 3 different flavours of authentication -
NTLM for PCs, ident for macs and digest for guest network, so have 3
distinct squid setups running on our proxy server. Would it be worth
setting these all up as non-caching, then set up a parent caching
server, or will setting them up as cache peers make them share their
caches at all?

Either way works.
* sibling peers has extra traffic coordinating the caches and almost (but not always) getting it right.
 * one parent caching proxy creates a potential bottleneck at the parent.

Choice is yours.

Amos