Search squid archive

Re: squidclamav: Reduce overhead by omitting request-scanning?

Hi Amos

On 06/30/2012 10:25 AM, Amos Jeffries wrote:
On 30/06/2012 7:20 p.m., Felix Leimbach wrote:
Hello list

I'm running squid 3.1.19 with squidclamav 6.6 and while debugging a
different issue, I looked at tcpdumps of the ICAP traffic for
squidclamav.
I noticed that not only the webpages are sent to squidclamav for
scanning, the *requests* are sent and scanned as well.

This looks like unnecessary processing overhead to me and I've
disabled this by removing these lines (from squidclamav's install [1]
page):

icap_service service_req reqmod_precache bypass=1
icap://127.0.0.1:1344/squidclamav
adaptation_access service_req allow all

what's left is the response scanning:

icap_service service_resp respmod_precache bypass=1
icap://127.0.0.1:1344/squidclamav
adaptation_access service_resp allow all

Viruses in webpages are still being caught just fine.

Should the install page be updated or is there a disadvantage to this approach?

[1] http://squidclamav.darold.net/installv6.html

1) squidclamav is not part of the Squid project. So it is highly unlikely that people here are in a position to edit that programs documentation.

That's why Gilles (author of squidclamav) was CCed ;-)

2) the HTTP world is not limited to downloads. Uploaded files, CONNECT tunnels, media streams and other types of client sent things also need AV scanning to protect servers against infected clients.

You are right of course, there are defense-in-depth scenarios where you want to scan outgoing traffic. In my case - which I believe is the most common squidclamav use case - the purpose is to protect the internal network's users from external threats.

It is of course up to you which you enable/disable. But being AV documentation I would expect they prefer to document the safest known configurations as standard and let particular admin make the choice to open holes.

ACK. Maybe Gilles wants to include this as an information on the install page, because most people will not notice the potential for a performance gain otherwise.

Felix