Search squid archive

Re: better configuration for this server

On 7/05/2012 23:38, Mário Sérgio Candian wrote:
Hi guys.

I have a server with this configuration:

Intel xeon E5-2670 with 8 cores, 2.60GHz (3.30 GHz with Turbo Boost), 20MB
of cache, QPI Link 8GT/s;
Hyper-threading, 1600MHz TDP of 115 Watts;
32GB ( 4 x 8GB ) RAM DDR3-1333MHz, Dual rank x4;
RAID 5;
3 HDs SAS 6Gbps of 300GB, 10k RPM, Hot Plug;
CacheCade 200GB SSD SAS

Is this enough to support 7000 simultaneous users? For 15000 users is
enough?

Whats the better configuration of squid with a server like this? Whats value
I can use in cache_mem? In cache_dir option, is advisable to use diskd or
aufs?

And the other options:

cache_swap_low ??
cache_swap_high ??
cache_replacement_policy ??
memory_replacement_policy ??

I'd like a configuration for maximum performance. Someone can help me?

Regards,
MSC

Hi,

What config have you tried so far ? What OS do you plan to run on here ? Squid can support millions of users if they don't do anything or as little as 100's of users. What type of traffic do you see going via this box ?

"Off the bat" I can tell you now to give up on RAID-5, it's not worth it. What network cards do you have in this machine. If this is a cache for an ISP (guessing by the numbers) you will need gigabit and more.

Cheers,

Pieter