Search squid archive

Re: Cache that will not grow in size

On 4/05/2012 1:52 p.m., Mark Engels wrote:
Would anyone have any ideas here? The cache persists in not growing past 780mb despite having 45gig/829000 requests of web traffic go past it each day.

There are a great many reasons why a cache does not grow. The top ones are that in more recent Squid we try to avoid cycling non-cacheable material through the disk cache. So we avoid filling cache space with non-reusable content, and also the small short-lived things often expire while still only in RAM. Modern websites also contain a lot of dynamic content. So the CMS systems they use often make thing non-cacheable, or the better ones require revalidation, which can replace cached objects instead of adding new content. Then the browser caches store a lot so middleware tends to get MISSes more often.

Amos