Search squid archive

Re: Use squid to switch to Tor network

On 15/02/2012 7:54 p.m., Yucong Sun (叶雨飞) wrote:
Tor (without the browser part) basically provides a socks proxy ,
Vidalia translate socks proxy to http proxy, and the browser use that
http proxy to work.

So, to get your squid use it too, just launch tor and vidalia as
usual, have squid configure a cache_peer parent to that proxy
(localhost:<someport>), also never_direct allow all , and you will be
going through tor any minute.

The key to all of this is that the traffic goes from point A inside your network where the clients can reach to some point B outside from which the domains can be reached.

You could do this with any sort of relay or tunnel service. Squid only handles HTTP, so the clients other traffic will stay broken. The type of service you are looking for is usually seen with two Squid operating with a VPN or TLS tunnel between them, using cache_peer to pass traffic over it (works just as well as a routed packet path too if you add NAT).

SOCKS proxy is a good idea, as would be a VPN-like tunnel with yoru routing sending packets to some outside server acting as a relay router.

Amos