Search squid archive

Re: RE: Squid as Network Monitor

On 11.01.2012 03:46, Babelo Gmvsdm wrote:
I checked the premissions on /var/logs/squid3/, where everything is
owned by proxy:proxy (access.log, cache.log etc...)
I ran the squid3 -k rotate, the rotations worked well anyway.
One more thing when the Pc which host the squid, use itself as a
proxy, the access.log populate

So the squid app seems to work properly, it seems the problem come
from the iptables which not redirect to the squid.

Yes.

* Look at the order of iptables rules for NAT rules which do things to the packet before your interception rule.

* Look at your network cabling layout, and routing configurations. To see if packets actually flow through the Squid machine when the client tries to connect directly to the Internet.

* check that your Squid machine is configured as a network router properly. In order to pass the packets through it this is required. Neither "bridge" nor standalone proxy server is not enough for NAT interception.

One or all of these could be the problem. You need to find out why and we cannot help you much.

Amos

On more thing I don't know why but a ps aux | grep squid give this:
root      1456  0.0 0.1 43176 1732  ?      Ss Jan09 0:00
/usr/sbin/squid3 -YC -f /etc/squid3/squid.confproxy    1465  0.0 1.6
80284  17172  ?   S Jan09  0:27 (squid)  -YC -f
 /etc/squid3/squid.conf

Do you know why I have 2 squid processes? (i have installed squid3,
just with an "apt-get install squid3" )

One "(squid)" is the worker which processes all the HTTP traffic. The other "/usr/sbin/squid3" is the master control process which ensures there is a worker always available, even if it crashes for some reason.

Amos